i’ve been feeling pretty good the last few weeks and have been able to make a few different things for nolan’s nursery. this project has definitely been my favorite and makes me smile every time i walk by it. my best friend has a little basset hound named charlie and i wanted to be able to have something in nolan’s room that reminded me/us of him. the total cost was was around 10 dollars and took about an hour and a half to make.
for this tutorial you’ll need: a piece of canvas, fabric that is three inches larger on each side to go around the canvas, fabric for the main section of the object you are creating, a glue gun, and a fabric glue stick (along with the basics: sewing machine, scissors, paper, etc).
1) sketch the item that you would like to use. i was hoping to find something to size on the internet, but couldn’t get anything close to the size of my canvas.
2) cut out the pattern
3) pin the fabric to the paper pattern. make sure to flip the pattern around so that it’s cut out the way you want it to face on the canvas.
4) place the fabric cutout on the background fabric. i made sure to leave three inches on each side of the background fabric, so that i could secure it to the fabric to the back later on. next, use the glue stick to secure the cutout onto the background.
5) start stitching! i choose a zig zag stitch, but it’s certainly your preference.
these were the settings i used (a nice tight stitch to hide any imperfections).
6) if you decide to make a dog, cutout the ears by cutting two of the same size ears and sew together inside out, then turn around and iron.
7) place the ears onto the head and stitch onto the body.
8) lastly, flip over the canvas and fabric- pull tightly on all sides and glue together using a hot glue gun.
what do you think? i hope little nolan loves it as much as i do!