my dear husband and i put together a new display for my craft fair last week and i loved how it turned out so much, that it will be migrating into our house permanently (once i find a place for it). the project (minus the painting) only took about 30 minutes and was under twenty dollars.
1) start with four of the same size shutters, we got ours at a resale shop for under ten dollars. you’ll also need some paint, we decided to use a neutral color, because i couldn’t make my mind up if i wanted to do a teal or mustard yellow.
2) get two boards that are the same or smaller width than the openings in the shutters. we found ours at home depot for four dollars. paint them whatever color you desire, i was thinking of painting them a different color than the shutters, but liked the way they turned out as just one color.
3) after everything is dry, fold together two of the shutters and attach two hinges- one towards the top and one towards the bottom. repeat with the other set of shutters.
4) snap and pop out the section of the shutter where you want the shelf to lay, do this on both sides of the shutters. (step three and four are interchangeable, we did four before three- but it works either way)
5) slide your shelves in and you have yourself a new craft fair display or a great shelving unit for the house, all under twenty dollars!